This week we present a video-rich roundup of the recent news, so pour yourself a large glass, get comfortable, scroll down, click “play” and enjoy.
* Urwerk presents the new UR-105M. This model replaces the now-iconic UR-103 models, and while the orbital satellite indication remains similar, the case and movement are totally new. The UR-105 comes in two versions: the “Iron Knight” with a natural-colored steel bezel and “Dark Knight” with a black AlTiN-treated steel bezel. /www.urwerk.com/en/collection-103-collection-c1-p14.php
* Vacheron Constantin announces sponsorship of the documentary film Ballet 422, which premiered on April 19 at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York City. Ballet 422 follows choreographer Justin Peck as he creates the 422nd ballet for the New York City Ballet, called Paz de la Jolla. www.vacheron-constantin.com
* Also at the Tribeca Film Festival, IWC announced its continuation of spotlighting talented young filmmakers for the second successive year by presenting the IWC Filmmaker Award, which went to Jay Dockendorf for his film project, “Naz + Maalik.” www.iwc.com/en/news/iwc-schaffhausen-turns-the-spotlight-on-a-new-generation-of-filmmakers/
* And still in New York, and still in the world of film, Jaeger-LeCoultre celebrates the 100th anniversary of Charlie Chaplin’s Little Tramp with an exhibition tracing the most famous moments of his career. Taking place in New York City and curated by the Musée de l’Elysée located in Lausanne, Switzerland, “Chaplin Forever!” will be presented at the Film Society of Lincoln Center from April 25 to May 4, 2014. http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/WW/en/luxury-watches/cinema-1
* Girard-Perregaux presents a new Sea Hawk diver’s watch with a deep blue dial and eye-catching orange accents on hands, dial and bezel. The new Sea Hawk’s bright colors make for high legibility, which a diver will certainly need if descending anywhere near the watch’s stated depth of 1,000 meters/3,000 feet. www.girard-perregaux.com/collection/collection-details-en.aspx
* In a quadruple-shot Top 5 Watches from Baselworld, please check out the videos below:
* And here are a few articles from our confreres online that caught my eye recently:
On Monochrome, Brice Goulard gets hands-on with the Girard-Perregaux Tri-Axial Tourbillon.
The Watch Lounge founder Tom Mulraney explains how facts can minimize collectors getting burned in the second-hand market with WatchFacts – Giving You Peace Of Mind When You Buy Pre-Owned.
On a Blog to Watch, David Brendan explains the new “Observatoire Chronometrique+” validation certificate in Observatoire Chronometrique+ New Alternative To COSC Chronometer Certification?
And for something different, Hodinkee‘s Benjamin Clymer presents a collection of some of the world’s finest historic automobiles in Photo Report: Inside Bruce Meyer’s Private Garage.