Weekly Roundup: 14 February 2014
A happy Valentine’s Day to you!
* As we approach half-time at the Olympics, we’d like to direct your attention to the close of our first Olympic Week. During these last four days, we have brought you:
– Joshua’s fanciful look at the ingenuity of the Russian culture in terms of watches, space travel and Olympic sports.
– Elizabeth’s short history of Omega’s involvement in Olympic timing.
– A look at the equipment Omega has brought to Sochi to time these Games, including an explanatory interactive animation.
– A rundown of the history of Russian watches and their contemporary status by guest poster Craig Hester, an authority in Russian and Eastern European watches.
* And in that vein, have a look at Tony DeMarco’s interesting report on the Olympic medals, some of the largest in Olympic history.
* Vanessa-Mae is not only a world-class violinist, the 35-year-old Brit is also competing in the Olympics in the giant slalom event for Thailand (thanks to parental lineage). As an Omega ambassador, she also spends time in the Omega pavilion. www.omegawatches.com/news/international-news/international-news-detail/2556
* A. Lange & Söhne has announced that the timepieces it debuted at the 2014 edition of the SIHH will now go on a six-month world tour of its boutiques, beginning with the Singapore location February 25 through March 3. The other locations are (in order of appearance): Shanghai, Dubai, Seoul, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Munich, Lisbon, Palm Beach, Paris, and, finally, Dresden (June 2-9). For more information and the schedule, please visit www.alange-soehne.com/news-and-more.
* Montblanc has appointed Mike Giannattasio to the position of president and CEO of Montblanc North America. He has been with the company since 2004 in various positions, both wholesale and retail. “Mike’s extensive retail experience and keen leadership have been instrumental to our success,” says Jérôme Lambert, CEO of Montblanc International. “Mike adds a dynamism and an energy to everything he touches. We believe our customers in North America will benefit from this strategic appointment.”
* Zenith announces the creation of two new services as a response from growing customer requests: the Archive Extract Service and the Certificate of Authenticity. Making use of these services is not free – it costs 120 – 150 CHF for an archive extract and 500 CHF for authentication – but the peace of mind for the owner of a vintage Zenith is, naturally, priceless. www.zenith-watches.com/en_en/extraits-archive
* Hublot CEO Ricardo Guadalupe opened the first Hublot boutique in Latin America in the presence of Hublot ambassadors Pelé and Gustavo “Guga” Kuerten. Hublot is, of course, the official timekeeper of the upcoming FIFA World Cup of soccer in Brazil, and the new boutique in the Fashion Mall in Rio de Janeiro is the result of a long-standing partnership between the brand and the Zilberman family, owners of the SARA jewelry retailer. Here, also, Hublot presented the first Pelé watch, a Classic Fusion Aero Chrono limited to just 500 pieces and crafted in black ceramic. It was specifically chosen by Pelé himself. Pelé is an ambassador of the brand during the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
* Fashion Week New York City, and for the fifth consecutive time, Audemars Piguet presents Michael Bastian’s fall collection. This season, Bastian exclusively featured the brand’s Royal Oak Offshore collection on the runway including the 42 mm Royal Oak Offshore Chronograph just launched in both stainless steel and rose gold. Michael Bastian’s personal timepiece of choice is the stainless steel Royal Oak Chronograph. www.audemarspiguet.com
* The National Watch and Clock Museum in Columbia, Pennsylvania, has an active calendar of events. One such upcoming event to be held on March 28 is the Family Overnight, which allows children 6 to 12 to enjoy a “night at the museum.” www.nawcc.org/index.php/museum
* Diane Kruger wore a Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso at the Berlin Film Festival while promoting her film The Better Angels, the story of Abraham Lincoln’s childhood. You may want to check out the brand’s image film for the Rendez-Vous line called Reinvent Yourself starring the German actress, which boasts a phenomenal 5 million views on YouTube.